Sunday, March 21, 2010

Jorge Lorenzo: “I'm always confident about myself and the bike”

Jorge Lorenzo: “I'm always confident about myself and the bike”
Thursday, 18 March 2010
Motogp.com The Fiat Yamaha rider knows that he will start the season at a disadvantage due to his pre-season hand injury, but he is certain the Qatar Test will give him a chance to regain some momentum before the start of the season.

Lorenzo confident for testing comeback
Jorge Lorenzo’s pre-season was disrupted by a training accident at the start of February which resulted in a broken thumb in his right hand, but the Spanish rider is present at the Qatar Test and ready to make the most of the last chance to ride his M1 prototype before the start of the season on April 11th.
The injury forced the 22 year-old to miss the second Test at Sepang, and he has raced against time to be able to make it to the Losail International Circuit for the night test which has started today (Thursday).
Lorenzo is happy to be back in action, and will have special carbon fibre protection and a modified Dainese glove for the two days to help him make the most of the Test. He started by explaining exactly what happened with the accident that led to his injury.
“I was riding in the ex ranch of Kenny Roberts where there is now a very big dirt track, and I was riding on the tarmac. Everybody said I was injured riding motocross but it’s not true! I was injured on the asphalt with a minibike, and the track was very tight – we were riding with some riders and I made a mistake in my braking point. My front wheel went under and I broke the finger,” said Lorenzo, before discussing how he feels the enforced time out will affect him for the start of the season.
“Compared to the other riders a lot, because this year we have very little practice, only three tests. I missed one and will only do two, maybe not even two because now I’m not in 100% condition, so maybe one and a half! I will not be at the same point as most of the riders, but it’s better it happened to me two months before the Championship than one week before.”
Despite arriving in Qatar with the hand still healing, Lorenzo feels the time at the track will still be a valuable preparation. He continued: “Yes I am always confident, about myself and the bike. I think the injuries can only make you more mature, and more of a thinking person, and try to learn about these injuries and make you stronger.”
“The hand is getting better every day. I felt a big improvement after only three days, and now I don’t have that much pain when I use the hand. So every day things get easier, but for sure to ride a bike will be difficult. We will see what happens!”
Asked exactly how he thinks the injury will affect him at this Test, Lorenzo said: “I don’t know. Maybe I will struggle a lot, and I can only be 10 seconds behind the fastest time, or maybe I’ll get closer; I don’t know. On Thursday we will see. I’ll be running, doing laps, and just regaining the condition and the knowledge about the MotoGP bike.”
Looking ahead to the first race of the season at the same track on April 11th, Lorenzo offered his idea on how the 2010 World Championship could start.
“In theory, worse than last year,” he said. “But I have one year more of experience, so in theory I can be more prepared. For sure this injury will stop us a little bit, but the Championship is very long so we must be patient and keep working.”

No comments:

Post a Comment